Is Solar Power Right for your Home?
To find out more about Coast Electric’s renewable energy rate, detailed below, or to determine if rooftop solar is a good option for your home, email [email protected] or call 601-889-5109 before making any financial decisions.
New Renewable Energy Rate Available
Coast Electric is offering a new renewable energy program to its members, which will initially be offered in a limited amount. More members will have the ability to take advantage of the renewable energy program as more renewable sources are constructed over the coming months.
- Surveys have shown some Coast Electric members are interested in participating renewable energy sources, like solar energy.
- Solar energy generation costs have fallen, making large-scale solar facilities more affordable for electric utilities. Rooftop solar, however, can still be very costly for end-users. Coast Electric believes offering a renewable energy program to members is beneficial for many reasons.
- Purchasing solar energy from Coast Electric is less expensive than remodeling your home to accommodate rooftop solar panels.
- Rooftop solar simply isn’t an option for many people. If you rent, live on a shaded lot, or don’t have the means to pursue a rooftop system, this might be a great way for you to use a renewable energy source.
- You will never have to repair or maintain solar panels if they are damaged and need to be replaced.
- Members who choose to purchase solar capacity can lock in the rate they pay now for the next 20 years. This means as the cost of electricity increases, the cost for your solar capacity stays the same. You can also cancel any time you like.
- Currently, Coast Electric members can purchase up to four kW of solar capacity in one kW increments.
- The cost will be $18.10 per solar kW purchased per month.
- Solar output is expected to produce an average of 164 kilowatt-hours per month per kW purchased. The number of kilowatt-hours that are produced by the solar units purchased will be subtracted from your kilowatt hours used. This means you are getting net metering.
For example, if you purchase two KW of solar capacity:
– You will be billed a total of $36.20 ($18.10 x 2) for your two kW of solar purchased.
– If your use for the month is 1,500 kilowatt-hours and you purchased two kW of solar capacity that in turn produced 164 kilowatt-hours each, the charge for 328 kilowatt-hours (164 x 2) is subtracted from your 1,500-kilowatt hours, so you will only pay for 1,172-kilowatt hours.
Why should I sign up for the program?
- That is an individual choice each member who is interested in pursuing solar must determine, but Coast Electric employees are here to help you determine which will be the better fit for your home. We want to be your source for helping you with renewable energy decisions. As a not-for-profit company, we are able to help you make the best decision for you.
- If you’ve considered all of your options for renewable energy and decide you want to sign up for our renewable energy program or to get a more detailed explanation, it’s easy! Simply call us at 877-769- 2372 and ask to speak to one of our residential energy representatives, or email [email protected].